Recommendations: Can use different types of seafood, in addition to or in place of squid.
- 3 dried black mushrooms
- 2 ounces squid cleaned
- 8 ounces fresh winter melon in 1/2″ cubes
- 4 ounces geoduck meat
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cups diced carrot
- 1/4 c quartered button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp frozen peas thawed
- 1 tbsp small diced smoked ham
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- Soak the mushrooms in enough warm water to cover until softened. Drain, discard the stems and quarter the caps.
- Separate the squid tentacles from the bodies. Leave the tentacles whole. Cut the bodies open along one side so they lie flat on the cutting board and lightly score the inner side in a small crisscross pattern. Cut the scored pieces into 1 1/2- by 2-inch pieces.
- Bring a 2-quart saucepot of water to boil. Add the winter melon; cook until tender crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Blanch the clams and squid in the same water until the meat is opaque, about 30 seconds.
- In a 3-quart saucepot combine the stock, carrots, both mushrooms, peas, ham, wine, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the winter melon and seafood; cover and simmer until the seafood is cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle into the soup bowls.